Mrs. Obama’s Apple Cobbler
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (or a bag of frozen peeled apples)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 3 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 1 stick of butter
- Mix these [filling] ingredients together in a bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight so the spice goes all the way through the apples.
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees F. Butter and flour the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Roll out three pie crusts real thin — as thin as possible. Layer the bottom of the pan with 1 1/2 of the pie crusts and prick a few holes in it. Pour the apples with the liquid into the pie pan. Dot 3/4 of a stick of butter around the apples. Use the final 1 1/2 pie crusts to cover the apple mixture entirely (let the pie crust overlap the pan).
- Pinch the edges of the dough around the sides of the pan so the mixture is completely covered.
- Melt final 1/4 stick of butter and brush all over top of crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Bake at 300 for up to 3 hours — that’s what makes the crust flaky, like Barack likes it. Put the cobbler in the oven and go for a walk, go to the store, or do whatever you have to do around the house. Start looking at the cobbler after two and a half hours so it doesn’t burn. Serve anytime. Serves 8-10 slices.