As President Obama said when he launched MBK, the initiative is about “building on what works when it works, in those critical life-changing moments.” Selecting strategies with proven results along the 6 MBK milestones means making a commitment to use data to inform and improve service delivery, and working to develop and scale interventions with evidence of success to ensure all young people can reach their full potential.
Evidence-based Strategies and Six MBK Milestones
Partners select and implement evidence-based strategies along the six milestones and evaluate effectiveness in the current climate and community.
Existing Partnerships and Programs
Partners build strategies on existing resources and partnerships in the community and align them to increase cross-cutting impact on BYMOC. Partners pool existing funding and programs across sectors to leverage greater impact on BYMOC.
Reinforcing Plans and Activities Through Collaboration
Partners develop new programs and activities coordinated along the goals of the Local Action Plan. Partners collaboratively define activities, programs and supports that ALL community leaders and stakeholders must provide.
Puerto Rico Community Foundation’s partner Taller Salud launched a street outreach and violence interruption effort focused on boys and young men of color dubbed Acuerdo de Paz (the Peace Accord), in order to stem violence, which disproportionately affects youth in Loíza.
This program is based on the Cure Violence Health Model, violence reduction model founded in 1995 at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health. Since it’s adoption in Loíza, Acuerdo de Paz has reduced violent murders in the municipality by nearly 80%. With the support of the MBK Alliance, the Peace Accord is expanding their footprint to bridge conflicts between more than 100 boys and young men of color in two neighboring barrios, and adding educational and workforce partners, including Nuestra Escuela (Our School) to provide educational support for participants to obtain their high school equivalency. Loíza is also providing paid internships and job experiences for participants.
STEPS TO IMPROVEMENT
- Convene stakeholders to identify the key MBK Milestones the boys and young men of color community will collectively take on to advance this work in their communities.
- Identify at least one limited capacity, moderate to high impact strategy for one of the six MBK Milestones.
- Identify at least one intermediate capacity, moderate to high impact strategy for one of the six MBK Milestones.
- Identify at least one advanced capacity, moderate to high impact strategy for one of the six MBK Milestones.
- Obtain partner commitments connected to programs and events.
- Convene partners and had them commit to produce an introductory program or event for boys and young men of color.
- Convene partners and had them commit to launch/support one long term program and event for boys and young men of color.
- Convene partners and had them commit to produce/support multiple long-term programs for boys and young men of color.