My Brother's Keeper Alliance Newsletter
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
The work to ensure boys and young men of color can go as far as their dreams and hard work will take them is filled with both triumph and tragedy. As President and Mrs. Obama shared after a jury provided a measure of justice to George Floyd’s family, “if we’re honest with ourselves, we know that true justice is about much more than a single verdict in a single trial.” Today, we remain committed to working alongside you to build the safe and supportive communities that all of our children deserve.
In this issue of the MBK Alliance newsletter, get the latest on communities that took the Reimagining Policing Pledge, hear lessons from violence prevention experts in Puerto Rico, and catch up on our recent announcements and partnerships.
Reimagining Policing: Progress to Date
Next steps for building on the momentum
Over 300 communities—representing 13+ million Black people and including all of the 10 most populous U.S. cities—took our pledge to reimagine policing and redefine public safety. Read our report to get informed, get inspired, and take action today.
"To any individual who shares our commitment to justice, I hope you’ll keep marching, keep speaking out, and keep working to create the change we know is possible."”
“Reimagining Policing: Spotlighting Reforms and Progress” Town Hall
Watch his full remarks from our “Reimagining Policing: Spotlighting Reforms and Progress” Town Hall.
MBK Community Spotlight: Loíza Alliance for Peace
Interrupting violence, inspiring hope
Join members of the MBK Impact Community partner Loíza Alliance for Peace for a virtual visit to their beloved Isla Encantada. Watch them describe their groundbreaking collaboration that has reduced violent murders in the municipality by nearly 80 percent.
Youth Spotlight: Seven Years of My Brother’s Keeper
Snapshots from our walk with boys and young men of color
Every day, remarkable young kings across the MBK network teach us something new. Revisit our look at seven lessons we’ve learned about our movement—through them—on this journey.
In Case You Missed It
- What’s next in the fight against police violence and systemic racism? ATTN: and Minneapolis City Council member Phillipe Cunningham—who spoke at our first Reimagining Policing town hall in June 2020—cover major ways you can take action.
- Happy AANHPI Heritage Month to our Asian American brothers and sisters. We look forward to celebrating the joy and beauty of this community all month long, while also acknowledging our ongoing collective responsibility to #StopAsianHate. #AAPIHM
- Capital One supports the MBK Alliance with a $1.3 million grant to sustain evidence-based mentoring programs.
- Twitter’s Blackbirds joined the MBK Alliance and Obama Foundation for a conversation about our mission.
- Explore how you can help build the Obama Presidential Center, including construction job and training opportunities.