Obama Foundation Fellowship FAQ
About the program
What is included in the Fellowship?
- Guidance in developing a personalized Fellowship roadmap to help you get the most out of the program
- Ongoing skill-building and training courses tailored to your particular needs
- Individual coaching and mentoring to help you move your work forward
- Participation in a global cohort of leaders poised to change the civic engagement landscape
- Exposure to opportunities provided by other Foundation programming, such as mentorship roles and speaking engagements
- Participation in four gatherings (including economy airfare to/from the event, lodging, and all meals during the events)
- For the inaugural class – the opportunity to shape the Fellowship program for future years
What is the time commitment?
The Fellowship is not a full-time commitment, but active and engaged participation is key to creating a meaningful Fellowship experience. Fellows commit to:
- Participating in the full programming of the four Fellowship gatherings
- Devoting a few hours each month to ongoing training and programming
- Sharing responsibility for creating a supportive, collaborative community of Fellows
- Collaborating with the Foundation throughout the Fellowship to evaluate and refine the program for future classes
- Contributing their leadership, creativity, and voice to other Foundation programs. In this inaugural cohort, we’re looking for Fellows who are eager to explore the roles they can play in the broader ecosystem of the Foundation — whether serving as mentors, facilitating local trainings, or writing about their work for a wider audience
Will Fellows be paid a stipend?
Fellows will not be paid a stipend at this time.
Is English proficiency required?
Yes, Fellows must be fluent in spoken and written English as all programming will be conducted in English.
Do I need to be a US citizen?
No. We’re looking for a diverse group of Fellows from all over the world.
Is there an age requirement?
Applicants must be 18 or older. We’re looking for participants who are at a “tipping point” stage in their careers, rather than those who fit a particular age requirement.
Do I need to cover the costs of travel for the Fellowship gatherings?
The Foundation will cover transportation and accommodation for the in-person convenings. While we can provide support in procuring visas, Fellows will be responsible for covering any visa costs.
Do I need to belong to the Democratic Party of the US or maintain a particular political affiliation?
The Obama Foundation is a non-partisan, non-political entity. The Fellowship is not affiliated with any political party or entity, and is guided by the personal values of President and Mrs. Obama, including a belief in the importance of reaching across ideological differences to find common ground and pursue innovative approaches to public problems. As such, we’re looking for Fellows who will bring a diverse set of political opinions and perspectives to the program.
I’m not ready to apply for the Fellowship, but I still want to participate in Foundation programming. How can I get involved?
The Obama Foundation Fellowship is just one part of the Obama Foundation’s programming. This fall, we will be launching additional ways to participate – follow along here.
Can groups, co-founders, or pairs apply?
We will be selecting individuals, not groups or pairs, to participate in the program.
Do I need to move somewhere to be a Fellow?
Fellows will not be asked to move anywhere to participate in the Fellowship program. However, there will be four occasions where they will be asked to travel for in-person gatherings, which will take place at locations around the world.
I have a lot of great ideas on how I can change my community, but I haven’t put them into action yet. Am I still eligible to apply?
We’re looking to amplify the work of civic innovators who have already shown meaningful impact in their communities. If you’re still in the process of developing your great idea or vision, and haven’t yet put your ideas into action, then this Fellowship may not be the right fit for you.
About the application process
Can I save my responses on the application and return to submit the application later?
The system will not save your responses if you close your browser window before submitting. If you’d like to take more than one session to work on your answers, please draft your application responses offline. Once your answers and video are ready for submission, you can revisit the site and submit your application in one sitting.
Can I send additional materials?
Due to the volume of applications, we cannot review additional materials sent outside of the application form. If you have a specific question, please email the Fellows program at [email protected].
I missed the deadline. Can I still apply?
We will not review late or incomplete applications.
When will I be notified about whether I’m chosen?
The Fellowship team will review applications and notify all applicants in February 2018.
If I’m not chosen, can I apply again during a future round?
Absolutely! We’d be happy to review a later application from applicants who have advanced their work.
Additional questions about the Fellowship or application process? Email us at [email protected] and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!